▼Directions from Another Country
There are several ways to get to Puerto Escondido from overseas.
- The simplest way is to fly to Mexico City. Then from Mexico City, fly to Puerto Escondido. To search flights, you can use Skyscanner OR Despegar.com OR farecompare.com
- A few cities offer direct international flights into Huatulco. From Huatulco, take the 2-hour bus ride to Puerto Escondido.
- If you are feeling a bit adventurous and can tolerate windy roads and a sometimes uncomfortable ride, you can take a 12- to 17-hour bus ride from Mexico City. ADO charges about ~1000 pesos, and ETN Turistar charges around 1,400 pesos, but their buses are more luxurious (almost like 1st class on a plane) and the trip is shorter.
▼Directions from Puerto Escondido
There are several ways to get to the Sanctuary from the center of Puerto Escondido.
- Drive southeast on highway 200 toward Pochutla and Huatulco. Take the first right to La Punta, at Rubi's mini-super. At the bottom of the hill, turn left into Brisas de Zicatela heading away from the sea (do not turn right towards Casa Mar and the sea). Go past Internet Zicatela and take the second left onto Quintana Roo. You will see our beautiful home (see picture above) half a block ahead of you.
- Alternatively, continue on the highway past Rubi's mini-super and turn right onto the first concrete road onto Quintana Roo. There is no street sign, but you will see our Sanctuary sign on the corner. Continue 1.5 blocks and you will see our house.
- You can take a colectivo [pick up truck with blue canopy over the back and bench seats inside (7 pesos) OR a red and white taxi with a "MERCADO LA PUNTA" sign written on windshield (driving southeast) from anywhere along Highway 200 (usually you can find a small group of people waiting by the stop lights or the crossroads) OR you can take a private taxi (~50 pesos). Tell them: "El Sanctuario, Vuelta a la derecha enfrente de la tienda Rubi y despues tome la segunda calle a la izquierda: Brisas de Zicatela. Y la segunda calle a la izquierda: Quintana Roo." A colectivo takes about 10-15 minutes, and a taxi about 8-10 minutes.
▼Directions from Puerto Escondido Airport
There are a couple of ways to get to the Sanctuary from the center of Puerto Escondido.
- The most convenient option is to take an airport-approved dedicated white taxi at a cost of around 2-300 pesos . Or, you can take an airport approved shared taxi for about 100-200 pesos. These prices depend on the season and how good you are at negotiating. There will be several drivers waiting immediately outside of the airport door.
- For a cheaper alternative, walk down the hill to the highway (approximately 700 metres from airport exit), cross the road and get a green and white taxi at a cost of about 50 pesos. Or, wave down a red & white shared taxi or a collectivo (pick up truck with blue canopy and bench seats inside). Both of these cost 6-7 pesos cents).